In 1892, W. H. Cox began his undertaking business in Hartford City.  In 1895, Mr. Cox brought in J. Will Baxter as a partner and four years later Mr. Baxter became the sole owner.  Dan Linder, Baxter’s son-in-law, joined the business in the late 1920s.

In the mid 1930’s, Harold Markin joined J. Will Baxter and the name was officially changed to Baxter & Markin Funeral Home.   In 1947, the business moved from the 200 block of West Washington Street to its current location at 501 West Washington Street.  The first funeral held at the new funeral home was on Easter Sunday in 1947.

After Harold’s death in 1957, Mrs. Markin continued to operate the funeral home until December 1959 when Myron and David Richman purchased the business and the name became Baxter-Markin-Richman Funeral Home.

In 1981, Ted and Kay Waters purchased the funeral home from the Richmans, renaming the business Waters Funeral Home.   Since purchasing the funeral home, Ted and Kay have lived in the apartment above the business where they raised their five children.  In 1991, their son Tod Waters became a licensed funeral director and joined the business.  In 2005, Ted and Kay’s youngest son, Brian Waters, became a licensed funeral director and joined the family business.

Currently, Ted, Kay, Tod, and Brian Waters are all full-time employees of Waters Funeral Home.